Monday, 23 July 2012

L.M.C.D.


(Originally published Jan 2009)

It’s never a good idea to make last minute collection development (LMCD) a common practice. But with the end of the financial year looming ahead of me and almost an entire budget to spend, LMDC was my only choice.
Never having done this before, I had no idea where to start. The former church librarian, however, was very helpful and gave me a list of the library’s current collection, as well as a wish list of books she hadn’t been able to find yet. I was also told that Christian fiction (romance and adventure) as well as DVDs for children and seniors was the traditional focus of all collection development. Whoa! Big red flag there!
I have had the opportunity to take a collection development course that firstly, was for academic libraries and secondly, was not very…inspiring. Let’s leave it at that. But the right side of my brain, the librarian side, tells me that there are more people in the church than seniors and 5 year olds. In fact, a church might have the most impressive demographic that a librarian will ever work with in terms of age groups. Furthermore, I had the haunting suspicion that this collection development rut was one designed many years ago. Either way, this collection development plan was about to receive its first makeover!

No comments:

Post a Comment